Ponche de Creme | Poncha Crema | ponche a Creme
It’s one of those potAto/potaato things… Nuff said
Trinidad and Tobago’s own version of traditional eggnog. You guessed it, it’s spiked with RUM! Try your hand making it with this simple recipe!
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 3 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup canned evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups rum
- 1 tablespoon aromatic bitters
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and lime zest using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually pour in the condensed milk while continuing to mix, and then pour in the evaporated milk.
- Stir in the rum and bitters, and sprinkle with nutmeg. Transfer to a bottle and chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve over crushed ice.
This recipe contains raw eggs. You may replace the 6 eggs in this recipe with 1 1/2 cups of purchased pasteurized egg product. You may also pasteurize your own eggs by heating in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir constantly so you do not cook the eggs, and heat to 160 degrees F (68 degrees C). – Or if you trust in the power of rum you could ignore this and put MORE RUM, that’s what we do! =)